Fitting TRVs throughout flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My flat came without any thermostats on the radiators (looks like a lockshield at each end) and also without a central thermostat for the whole system so I am left with only the timer to control my central heating. This is not really ideal for me and I'd like to ultimately move over a smart radiator thermostat system like the tado one. My central heating is a combi boiler and I am all on one floor.

So, the first step is to fit TRVs to all of my radiators. I've done a bit of research and my plan looks like this:

Step 1 - Drain System
I have found the drain on one of the radiators ... looks like I just attach a hose and follow a step-by-step like this one
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Plumbing:faq32

Step 2 - Remove radiators one by one and flush them with a hose
Seems like this is worth doing now as I have the system drained and could prevent problems

Step 3 - Fit TRVs and refit radiators
Looking at this one from screwfix. Is it worth getting new lockshields too?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/danfoss-ras-c-white-chrome-angled-angled-trv-10mm-x/33140

Step 4 - Refill boiler using the tap on the bottom of it to 1bar.

Step 5 - Bleed radiators

Step 6 - Rebalance all the radiators using my multimeter thermocouple and aim for 12 degree difference
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Plumbing:faq2

Does that sound like a sensible plan and is it viable for an amateur? I can work a spanner and I've fitted a few compression joints etc in my time to give an idea of level of skill. Also what problems should I look out for or am I likely to cause?

Cheers

Phil

Sponsored Links
Does that sound like a sensible plan and is it viable for an amateur? I can work a spanner and I've fitted a few compression joints etc in my time to give an idea of level of skill. Also what problems should I look out for or am I likely to cause?
Look out for pi .sin water about..TRV,s are crap

Best to leave one without TRV as a system bypass (Hall or bathroom are favourite) some boilers have one but not all.

Sponsored Links
make sure you add inhibitor when re-filling
Cool ... I'll add that on to the shopping list.

Look out for pi .sin water about..TRV,s are crap
A common failure? How else can I control my house temp sensibly?

Best to leave one without TRV as a system bypass (Hall or bathroom are favourite) some boilers have one but not all.
Wont that one be always on when the boiler is on then? I was hoping that once I have the tado system I can leave my boiler on most of the time during winter and forget the timer.

With a thermostat such as the Tado or any other make.

Unless you actually want different temperatures in each room, TRVs offer no value at all.

I see your point. I dont think TRVs on their own make much sense for me on their own, but I do like the idea of being able to heat the rooms to different temps at different times. To do that I need to get to smart thermostats which require TRVs. I could drop the idea of TRVs on a few radiators if they are likely to be problematic but then i suspect those rooms would always be too warm as I would need the boiler on to heat the smart controlled rooms. Adding a smart (or dumb) central thermostat seems likely to be more expensive than the small number of TRVs I could skip (likely 3 of my 7 radiators dont need to be smart).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back