Step by Step help for Balancing Radiators required! Please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wondering if the more knowledgeable people around could help me out with an issue I'm having with my central heating.

Some of our radiators (mainly downstairs) are only getting luke warm whilst others (upstairs) are getting hot. We have recently had new thermostatic and lockshield valves fitted to all radiators (the guy who done them is no longer available to come and sort this...)

Before we have to consider paying for somebody to come and have another look at this, I was wondering if there was an easy method for me to try to balance the radiator system without using any thermometers or anything fancy. I would need simple step by step instructions if possible and I would be very grateful for any help!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Quick Method
1. Remove all TRV heads
2. Close all LS valves
3. Open each LS valve by a quarter turn
4. Start boiler & set room stat to a high temp (25C+)
5. Wait until everything has warmed up.
6. Check (by feeling) the temperature of the return pipe from each rad. (That's the cooler pipe)
7. Select one which is in the middle of the temp range. This is your guide.
8. Rads which have a return colder than the guide need the LS valve opened by 1/12 turn or less; rads with a hotter return need the LS valve closed by 1/12 turn or less.

You will probably find that the guide rad has now got warmer or colder. That's because they interact - adjusting the flow though one will change the flow through the others.

Repeat steps 7 & 8 until the return pipe on all rads feels approximately the same temperature and the rad itself is giving off enough heat.
Replace TRV heads and set to required room temperature.
Set wall stat to correct temperature.

Detailed method
Read How to balance a CH system

I don't understand step 8. Eg. you say that rads with hotter return need LS closed by 1/2 turn. Yet the LS is only open 1/4 turn to start with as step 3, it's not possible to close by 1/2 turn.

Or do you mean to close 1/2 turn from some other starting point? If yes, which point?

Sponsored Links
I don't understand step 8. Eg. you say that rads with hotter return need LS closed by 1/2 turn. Yet the LS is only open 1/4 turn to start with as step 3, it's not possible to close by 1/2 turn.

Or do you mean to close 1/2 turn from some other starting point? If yes, which point?
Sorry for the late reply - Grandson's 12th birthday. :D

If you read what I said very carefully, I did not say "1/2 (half) turn or less" but "1/12 (one twelfth) turn or less".

The important thing is that each tweak has to be a minimal amount of movement.

Sovoth
The TRV head is the part which you turn to adjust the temperature. It is normally fixed to the metal body by a large knurled nut, though some use Allen screws. Removing it ensures that the TRV is always fully open.

Water will not escape when you remove the head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back