fitting twin plug socket into my garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi great site you have here.

what im trying to do is i have a garden shed and i want to put a twin plug socket in there for lighting and so i can run a pc down in my shed to keep me out of the wifes way there is already some heavy duty cable running down the wall to the shed but it has no socket on the end just bare wires and at the house end of the wire it goes throw a hole in the wall to my kitchen and has a normal plug on the end it looks like it was once just plugged in the socket next to the washing machine

can i just plug that back in a fit a twin socket to the ends of the bare wires in the shed would this be ok do you think?

many thanksfor any replys

Sponsored Links
The simple answer is unfortunately no.

Firstly, any outdoor electrical work is notifiable under Part P of the building regs (see the wiki for more info).

More importantly, without knowing what the cable is (i.e. how much current it can carry), how (if at all) it's protected from the elements etc, whether it's still in OK condition or if it's degraded over time, you shouldn't just use it. You also need to know what type of earthing system you have as there may be issues exporting the earth to your shed, this is also dependant on the structure of your shed etc.

If it has a plug wired directly to it, then it doesn't sound like the right sort of cable to be running outdoors - the right answer here is normally SWA (Steel Wired Armoured) cable.

My recommendation would be that you get a qualified electrician in (check he/she or the firm is listed on www.competentperson.co.uk) to do the work, and then you know it will be safe and legal etc.

hi there the cable was fitted in about 3 months ago as ive only just moved in he was fitting it when i came to look at the house 3 months ago

the cable has some writing on it
it says 50m drum 2.5mm twin & earth cable 6242yh bs6004

does this help would what i want it to do work with this or does this need taking out and replacing still?

If that runs outside anywhere, then it definitely shouldn't be used, as T&E is not rated for outdoor use...

It's also not generally designed to be wired in to a plug - it's meant for permanent installs within a building.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back