Fitting wood burning back boiler and 3 rads to workshop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been asked to fit a woodburning back burner to a friends workshop and garage. He wants the burner in one room with one radiator and two radiators in another room.

Can someone tell me which components will be needed for this install? I would like to know:

Is it best to use a vessel to pressurise the system?

Can you fit a switch to automatically turn the water pump on when it senses heat from the boiler?

How do I stop the rads getting too hot if the stove is burning for a long time?

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
A pressurised sealed system is one step away from a time bomb, mate....these must be open vented and you must have the correct information and skills to install one of these. Not trying to be patronising!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hence me asking. I trained as a plumber three years ago but was then offered a job in the electric industry which I took up so I never had much plumbing experience in systems etc.

I know that there is good reason for asking these questions, hence me posting here, I would not fit anything until I knew it was correct.

Sorry for sounding naive but I am just trying to help a friend.

Hence me asking. I trained as a plumber three years ago but was then offered a job in the electric industry which I took up so I never had much plumbing experience in systems etc.

I know that there is good reason for asking these questions, hence me posting here, I would not fit anything until I knew it was correct.

Sorry for sounding naive but I am just trying to help a friend.

A little knowledge is dangerous, you would be helping your friend a lot more by leaving this job alone.

You need someone who finished their apprenticeship 30 years ago - then they can put in a gravity circuit to all the rads -using a load of screwed iron pipe etc. ;)

You can pressurise sf these days. Pellet boilers, log batch, wood chip etc and small stoves with scws fitted which is recognised and approved by hetas and of course with manufacturers approval.

Can you fit a switch to automatically turn the water pump on when it senses heat from the boiler?

A Hi-Lo stat configuration is all you need.

I have a powrmatic hydronic blow unit in my 1000sq/ft workshop coupled to an oil boiler. It works quite well.

If fitting a stove I would go for a dry model and experiment with an air filtration unit like the Jet AFS-1000B with infrared remote control which only costs £240 and have heat circulated through the space and air filtration at the same time.

[quote="Norcon";p="1809322"]

A Hi-Lo stat configuration is all you need.

And a HEATAS ticket

And if you can get Heavy Water - you can make your own A-Bomb :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back