Fittings that are tolerant of disturbance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I need to use a 22mm straight or elbow coupler to extend some existing capped off 22mm to a new shower. The existing pipework is in 22mm copper.

I have always been led to believe that compression fittings are not tolerant of being nudged / disturbed and if they are can be prone to dripping.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise on a type of fitting that does allow slight vibration and is tolerant of disturbance. I cannot use a solder fitting due to access issues.

I am going to try and fit support and bracing to stop any vibration etc but I would still appreciate an answer to the above.

I am hoping that there is a push fit on the market that is lockable or something like that

Cheers

Paul

Sponsored Links
Worry ye not Paul.....compression fittings are perfectly sound when assembled correctly. If you want the belt and braces approach, add some sealant paste and a few turns of PTFE tape around the olive before you tighten up.
Leave the joint exposed for a while just to see.
John :)

cheers guys, what are the thoughts on a decent quality pushfit such as the JG stuff. I dont know if something 'lockable' adds extra security?

Sponsored Links
Only personally speaking, Paul....I've used loads of Speedfit and never had a problem with the pipe or the fittings, but even so I tend to use the pipe with brass compression fittings....especially if I need a tight bend.
I use the correct insert, and copper olives. I find this uses less space and bites up on the couplings much harder than the Speedfit collet.
I have used these where there was a water hammer issue, and the job has been secure for ten years.
The lockable Speedfit fitting is twisted together by hand - the push fit system has an insert that prevents accidental release.

Sorry John can u explain the above differently?!?!?!?! do you use the JG or compression type for potential areas where leaks occur

The fact is Paul, that the modern plastic pipe has an outside diameter of 15mm....therefore, you can join it with the usual Pegler type brass compression coupling. The inner diameter is of no consequence here.
I found this very effective on a job where the pipe had to be hidden behind some skirting, and routed around a kitchen wall. The standard Speedfit coupling was too bulky to use, the brass coupling was not, so in it went.
As I said, the correct insert must be used with the plastic pipe......the term barrier pipe is effectively twin wall and best quality - if you come across that one.

OK John,

to confirm, So access is no problem for anything other than soldering. The existing pipe is copper 22mm so if I want to extend that pipe using an elbow what fittings / pipe / inserts are best in terms of best ways to reduce leaks. I would prefer to extend the existing copper pipe using new copper pipe

If the job was mine Paul, I'd continue with 22mm copper pipe (new) and brass compression fittings with new, preferably copper olives.
I'd clean the pipe up carefully, then add some sealant that spread both below and on top of the olive. Assemble the fitting, and tighten up thoroughly.
Presumably you can get the spanners in!
If your old pipe is 3/4" by any chance, you can use a 3/4" olive with a 22mm fitting.

Cheers John, now nice and clear, just out of interest would you include the PTFE tape and why not use the brass type olives that seem to come with brass compression fittings?

Cheers John, now nice and clear, just out of interest would you include the PTFE tape and why not use the brass type olives that seem to come with brass compression fittings?
Copper olives are softer so compress more easily.

That's about it, really....if its awkward space wise to swing the spanners, a copper olive may help.
Its probably overkill, but if you put some sealant such as Jet Blue around the olive, and then nip the fitting up, you can slacken it again, wrap ptfe around the olive, more sealant and then fully tighten......it aint going to leak, you know!

The ones in avonmouth`s link - brilliant - neat , rotatable and even take a slight misalignment of pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back