fittinng a chimney liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had my chimney checked for smoke leaks and found the mortar has rotted away :( :evil: so i need to fit a liner and want to do it my self i have an open coal fire i know i have to fit a gather hood above the fire and i need to make a hole above the fire back all i need from you DIYNOT people is some tips i hope this makes sense and some tips come back and some cheap suppliers

Sponsored Links
where are the leaks? Often they are in the loft and easy to fix. There is also a grouting system of relining. Maybe someone know who does it.

You only need to fit a liner if your `mid feathers` have gone, in other words if your fire`s chimney and another fire`s chimney spills into one another. If you only have one fireplace/chimney it usually repairable by pointing. The test carried out is normally a smoke test, and if you have more than one chimney pot, the idea is to make sure that the products of combustion are just exiting the one pot. If coming from both you have a problem.

If pointing , make sure you point in between downstairs ceiling and uptairs floorboards.

Sponsored Links
You only need to fit a liner if your `mid feathers` have gone, in other words if your fire`s chimney and another fire`s chimney spills into one another. If you only have one fireplace/chimney it usually repairable by pointing. The test carried out is normally a smoke test, and if you have more than one chimney pot, the idea is to make sure that the products of combustion are just exiting the one pot. If coming from both you have a problem.

basicaly capped off two disused pots lit fire smoke entered up stairs rooms through brest took caps off and smoke came out so its leaking through brickwork/mortar takes bout 15 mins to enter rooms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back