Fix light fixture that's coming away from ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently been seeing a few brown moths every day on our landing, I originally though it was due to leaving some upstairs windows 'on their latch' over night, but having closed them the past couple of days I can rule that out.

Our landing light is kept on overnight, and above the light it has started to come away from the black lime papered ceiling. I was wondering if it may be possible the moths are entering from the loft, attracted to the light below.

Does anyone know the best way for me to try attach this light fitting back to the ceiling? I'm hesitant to try use an adhesive incase it causes more problems.

IMG_0516.jpeg

I'm not sure what those white 'spurs' are, again I'm guessing insect/bug related.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
White spurs are dusty cobwebs, moths just fly in thru doors and windows. You need to remove glass cover which will reveal screws holding it to ceiling which need sorting.

White spurs are dusty cobwebs, moths just fly in thru doors and windows. You need to remove glass cover which will reveal screws holding it to ceiling which need sorting.

Hi @foxhole,

Yeah, I'll start by turning off the electrics, removing the glass cover and seeing what's going on with the screws, but it looks like the whole fitting has come away from the ceiling

Regarding the moths, I've only opened the door for seconds while I'm heading out to work, got home today and found 3 at the top of the landing, so they must be coming from somewhere internally (being that no windows have been open).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi @foxhole,

Yeah, I'll start by turning off the electrics, removing the glass cover and seeing what's going on with the screws, but it looks like the whole fitting has come away from the ceiling

Regarding the moths, I've only opened the door for seconds while I'm heading out to work, got home today and found 3 at the top of the landing, so they must be coming from somewhere internally (being that no windows have been open).

Thanks
Moths can simply walk under you external door or thru vents, they could even be breeding in your home .Don’t know anyone who only opens a door for a few seconds and never opens a window, the moths could have been in the home months without you seeing them .
As for the fitting , well it is coming away from the ceiling hence my comments .

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back