fixed installation tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am about to wire in my hard wired tumble dryer in a couple of days. Just want to double check before i get started.

I have a new consumer unit (professionally installed) with two 'banks' of mcb's RCD protected (see photo).

The tumble dryer istructions ask for it to be run from a 30amp fuse ... the Kw rating is 6.05 which is about 27 amps. Can i hard wire the tumble dryer into any of the spare mcb's on this unit or do i need a seperate supply altogether?

P.s i know how to do the hard wire and cable size.

Sponsored Links
Are you aware that wiring a new circuit from the C/U is notifiable work?
I might suggest that it could be cheaper to get a self-cert spark in to do this job.
It would be possible to use the spare 32A on the righthand RCD.

Do i see smoke detectors wired from the same RCD as sockets? Is that correct?

Can i hard wire the tumble dryer into any of the spare mcb's on this unit or do i need a seperate supply altogether?

P.s i know how to do the hard wire and cable size.

You could supply a circuit on position 5, since the 32a MCB appears 'spare'.

Obviously you know the cable size required and also how to test the finished circuit, pre commissioning and post installation :rolleyes:

You are intending to provide a new circuit, and as such that shouldn't be done without the correct tests and IEC sign off / Part P gubbins.

Take the cover off the wylex board and lets see the insides, I'm concerned that:-

Labelling is less than professional
No RCD test sticker
No mixed coloured wiring sticker
No inspection date sticker

Rgds

The CU hasn't been signed off yet ... the installation is part of an ongoing building warrant due to run out in March next year.

It was proffesionally installed by a select approved sparky as a homer but as the circuits are not finished yet i.e there are no upstairs lights or sockets yet it hasn't any paperwork completed.

Once the installation is finished then all the paperwork will be done.

I think i'll get him back round to wire in the dryer just to be on the safe side.

Sponsored Links
there are no upstairs lights or sockets yet it hasn't any paperwork completed.
Was he planning to use that 32A MCB for the upstairs sockets then?

If so then you might have to swap out the 16A MCB for a 32A one and hardwire the tumble dryer from this circuit with a 4mm² t+e radial.

It would have been a good idea to leave some spare ways. Or is that 16A MCB a remaining spare way after all the work is completed?

Was he planning to use that 32A MCB for the upstairs sockets then?

Looking at it again i think yes (as i said i will double check)

If so then you might have to swap out the 16A MCB for a 32A one and hardwire the tumble dryer from this circuit with a 4mm² t+e radial.

Sounds like a plan although i had intended to use 6mm

I sould have also added that the Tumble Dryer will be a temporary fixture until the new kitchen extension next year when CU will be moved and upgraded.

Sounds like a plan although i had intended to use 6mm
6mm may be required anyway depending on derating factors and if you are going to have some other high power appliance in this location in the future (ie induction hob etc) then this may also be a good idea.

Must be some beast of a tumble dryer!

Dont people tend to use gas fired dryers when they get that large?

I have a new consumer unit (professionally installed)

kitchen extension next year when CU will be moved and upgraded.

Then why not put one in now that has the components for future increased capacity?
Pointless expense otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back