tumble dyer tripping circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my tumble dryer was working fine for about a year or so - all of a sudden, i turned it on one day and it tripped the 63A RCCB which is a 30mA trip in the Centre of the Consumer unit - it does this continunually everytime you switch the dryer on (Immediately after you turn it on), even if there is nothing else plugged into this circuit, however, it doesnt trip the 13A MCB on the consumer unit, which controls the actual circuit.

does anyone have any experience with this kind of fault, can it be isolated to a fault within the dryer itself?

many
thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is tripping the RCD, but not the MCB then this indicates a fault to earth.

Does the RCD trip if you plug a different appliance into the socket where you normally plug the tumble dryer?

If it is the tumble dryer it should be an easy fix for an appliance engineer

Unfortunately something is causing an earth fault in the drier.This could be a cable shorting down, motor insulation breaking down or a heater fault.
You could try checking for excess lint fluff across electrical parts if you feel confident enough to do so (with drier isolated!)

If not then I'm afraid it's time for the engineer

ricicle said:
If not then I'm afraid it's time for the engineer
after checking it a completely different socket as described above, to know if you need a spark or a tumble drier fixer.

(if you use an extension lead note that most arent really suitable for the heavy load of a tumble drier, and all must fully unwound first)

Sponsored Links
and examine the flex and plug for any damage.

try setting the td to cool then switch it on

i bet the element has snapped and touching the chasis (they shouldnt be able to do this, but its likely)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back