Fixed leak but plasterboard still wet underneath & Slime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have tried to find this already answered in the forums however without success and so apologies if this covers old ground!

Sorry to ask what I hope is a very stupid question however we had a plumber in to fix a leak in the heating system pipes which was in the ceiling of a poorly constructed first floor extension (probably about 10-15 years old by previous owners). Before they fixed it we could hear it dripping whenever the heating was on and it has caused a brown stain. This had obviously happened to the previous occupants as there was an existing stain that had been painted over and a small bucket had been put underneath the pipes. Why they had not fixed it I do not know but whatever.

The plumbers fixed this about 1 month ago and so I thought great and was waiting for a little bit before having the stain repaired. I have checked now to confirm that everything is all ok and found that the area directly underneath where the leak was s still wet and there is a strange brown sludge too. There seems to also be mould and I have uploaded a picture.

Can I ask for some advice if it is normal for the area to still be wet this long after being fixed and if the sludge is just material used when the pipe was fixed. I am hoping that it is just grease from the repair. The area between the ceiling and the roof gets very well ventilated and on a windy day like today you can really feel the wind coming through so I do not see how ventilation could be a problem. I have felt the pipes and they do not seem wet.

Thanks for any advice that you can give!

Attachments

• Strange Sludge.JPG
    Strange Sludge.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 167
Sponsored Links
Are you sure the sludge is not some left over tissue/paper towelling.
Best thing is to remove it, and dry area off with a hair-dryer, to confirm the leak has been stopped.

Hi. Thanks for your question. It s definitely not some tissue / paper towelling. It is more a jelly consistency and so totally out of place. I am clearing it up but would welcome anybody's ideas on what it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back