Shower waste leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Hoping for some advice on a shower waste pipe that is leaking on one side, which is impossible to reach properly.
It appears to be around the washer area.
Can I use a foam type sealant and spray it to stop it leaking?

I don’t really want to go through the ceiling underneath as only just had these plastered.
The builder I had in, charged me £240 to fix the leak, lift and replace floorboards in the bathroom before starting on the plastering. I’m dreading asking him to look at it again as I know he’ll want to charge me for it. So was hoping to resolve the issue by fixing the leak myself.

Sponsored Links
Remove the compression fitting underneath and then unscrew the top of the waste on the shower tray. Surely you can then lift it out of position?

There should be a large rubber seal which seals the waste to the tray. I would then silicone it as well for belt and braces.
Refit and tightly fasten the compression fitting to the pvc pipe after you have cleaned up the nut and pipe

Thank you plastic_peanut. I tried this but unfortunately, the screw fitting in the white pipe is wedged between 2 joists (or large pieces of wood, that run right under the bathroom). There’s no way to j screw it

BA82B694-7279-4905-BDBF-F4CEE307FAD3.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I would suggest using a length of wood between the poly pipe and the wood to lever it down enough to turn the nut. May need a helper but it looks tight for space.

Before you go to that effort have you tried unscrewing the chrome part at the top? This would then drop down from the tray giving more clearance. It may be that you can use silicone sealant to re-seal and refit.
Does the circular centre part unscrew to give access to unscrew it or failing that the full chrome waste?

Think about relocating it if you can release it from the tray. Just make sure you have the access underneath to get it centralised and back in place. Maybe a bit of wood under the trap would help

It needs fitting properly by an experianced tradesman, taking out and redoing.

The trap can be fitted to the waste pipe fed in to position, the shower tray out let connected and then deal with the open end last connecting to the rest of the waste pipe last. May be tricky but if you can see it to photograph it I can't imagine it can't be done !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back