Fixed price repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have opted for a fixed price boiler repair (£300) which in all honesty I may be paying over the odds for because I have since learnt British Gas do a fixed price repair for £156 - even less if you are a BG customer.

The company I have gone for - HeatTeam look fantastic and I am sure they will do a good repair but have other people had a repair at a fixed rate from BG ? Surely there must be a catch.

Sponsored Links
It all depends what they are fixing, swings and roundabouts comes to mind.
Pete

The BG scheme can be an absolute bargain - or a bit of a disaster. I reckon it's priced to be attractive, in with the contract maintenance.
It isn't available on some areas.

I'm not wishing to BG-bash, but we do hear too many unhappy stories. They can take a long time to come, and then miss appointments when people have taken time off work. The quality of the guys seems to be very variable.

It's an absolute bargain, round 150 quid for a guaranteed repair with a 12 month guarantee on parts and labour. Can't see how you can fault it. Will say that only covers one fault though so I'm guessing if you have several it won't be the most expensive you will be getting at fixed price.

Sponsored Links
It's an absolute bargain, round 150 quid for a guaranteed repair with a 12 month guarantee on parts and labour. Can't see how you can fault it.
^

good buy, unless "it's something else" when they turn up.more £££

if you give the guy a cup off tea and are nice to him he will probably do small multiple faults for free....its just another job to him and he will be used to multiple faults on the same visit.

problems may arise if you need lots of parts though.

no harm in getting free advice on other system faults anyway....you are under no obligation to pay them for further faults

Heat team's price has all but doubled in the last year of that is the price now.

WOW.

BG will refuse to cover you as soon as it involves more cost than what you pay each year. They'll happily take your money every fallow year and when the big one comes find a clause to get out of fixing it, but they'll send a nice man round who will part you with £3,000 for a £1500 job, but you won't pay any ineterst and you'll be safe in the hands of BG for the ensuing fallow years, until an expensive fault occurs again, or the sales team have been trained in something else they want to try out on you.

Slugbabydotcom said:
I wont BG bash either, just read this and draw your own delusions

and yet it doesnt mention that mr jackson in all probability still has a system stuffed full of debris and it may not be long before he is unblocking more of his system.

the quote given was clearly for a powerflush....although it is at the wrong price so he has been misquoted or there was something else involved.

his contract does cover the first blockage but not any subsequent blockages if he hasnt taken remedial action...powerflush as quoted. there is no mention of him being warned about poor water quality which negates BG's need to do anything about it at all under contract.

"Jim Jackson rang the gas company when his boiler did not appear to work properly. He has a heating and plumbing maintenance contract with the firm and thought he would be covered."......note he THOUGHT he was covered :rolleyes:

"he told us there was a blockage somewhere in the piping"....correct diagnosis.....there was no mention from the article if the engineer did or did not try to find the blockage....or indeed if he was under any obligation to do so.

as with anything else with BG......read the contract and you cant go wrong....if they refuse to do work in the contract then take them to court.....simple.

more poor reporting from that bastion of truth the daily mail :rolleyes: i would be mighty ****ed off if i got misreported as often as BG

Paul Barker said:
Heat team's price has all but doubled in the last year of that is the price now.

WOW.

BG will refuse to cover you as soon as it involves more cost than what you pay each year. They'll happily take your money every fallow year and when the big one comes find a clause to get out of fixing it, but they'll send a nice man round who will part you with £3,000 for a £1500 job, but you won't pay any ineterst and you'll be safe in the hands of BG for the ensuing fallow years, until an expensive fault occurs again, or the sales team have been trained in something else they want to try out on you.

if there is a clause there why shouldnt they use it......read the contract

Paul Barker said:
If people read contracts BG would have fewer customers.

i take it you are inferring that the contract is not value for money.

i disagree. for what they should provide i think it is almost impossible to beat. as with everything there are downsides but if you are a clued up consumer you would no doubt get value for money.....if you are an idiot that expects the world for nothing and dont bother to read contracts before you try to claim on them, then BG's contract is probably not the only one you will have trouble with.

Paul Barker said:
If people read contracts BG would have fewer customers.

I don't honestly think thats true Paul, if you look at the cover of the competitors in the field there is only possibly one that covers anywhere near as much for a similar cost and none at all who will cover sludge, scale or appliances over 30 years old.

I have been to several customers in the recent past who have had nightmares with independant guys...no shows, poor installations, incomplete, charging for parts not used or parts that don't fix it, ignored calls, unnregistered etc etc it's rife as you know, at least with bg they have a guarantee and always someone to moan at.
The contract is not small print, it is a colour booklet with nice pictures of what is and isn't covered....they have all read it mate but try it anyway, why not?, but why should Bg cover work that is not paid for.....would you?

It proper riles me when people moan that a part is declared unavailable yet they sourced their own hence lying bg...there are people here who have found air flow sensors for the lynx and blue switchmaster heads....look through my shed you may discover a world of rarities.

Ollski as you say there is always someone who will find an obscure part somewhere. In defense of BG parts help desk at leicester they have a couple of people who try very hard to track down obsolete parts, an although people wont believe they do i have sat and watched them try for hours to track even a £10 part down. It used to be that once a part was ordered 3 times in about 6 month it was then stocked at national parts centre. Just a shame for whatever reason some engineers don`t want to order them up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back