Fixed rooflight question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Quick question - Our builder was left to spec and order some flat fixed rooflights this is what was fitted. I’ve never seen a design that just sits on top of the upstand, rather than go over it to avoid water ingress (which I believe is the norm)?

This design would appear to rely solely on the mastic deal between frame and upstand - it doesn't inspire confidence to be honest

Has anybody had experience with this design, or even seen it before??

thanks

Attachments

• 20231106_145931.jpg
    20231106_145931.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Is there a roof upstand behind the black sides? Difficult to comment without seeing the manufacturers drawings/instructions, of which should have been included with the windows. Got a pic from the inside?

The grey bit is the upstand which the Sarnafil roofing has been run up the side and over onto the top of the upstand. I think there was a large internal rooflight frame that sits on top of this upstand, which the visible external rooflight component then clips onto.
I don't know the make/model but I'll try to find out, though it was probably provided by GAP UK
I'll get some internal photos and upload.

Looking at the GAP catalogue I think this might be the product.
There are no internal beads as per the diagram and it hasn't yet been finished

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 16.17.27.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 16.17.27.png
    825.6 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Looks an odd set up! The similar velux type , the upstand would be approx 1cm smaller all round and the top sits over to waterproof.

Yes it's very odd for sure. I got up at eye level today to take a closer look an internally and they haven't even managed to seal all the way around as per the fitting instructions. In the photo you can see daylight where you should see sealant.

I'm really not surprised based on experiences on this project to date - think we're headed for an appearance on Rogue Traders at this rate.

Attachments

• 20231112_120450.jpg
    20231112_120450.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 29

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back