Fixing 2 x 4 joists to form "roof" between house a

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a detatched garage which is about 8 feet distant from our house. Both buildings are made from concrete blocks and rendered. I want to fix some 2 x 4s (or similar) to create a pergola like roof structure between them. There would probably be a maximum of three joists in total. I might then add trellis on top to support a climbing clematis. What's the best way to fix the joists to the wall? Would something like this work:

http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/categories/simpson-sae-u-hangers

thanks in advance for your advice!

Damson

Sponsored Links
I would forget the hangers its a bit of a faff working with them, the easiest way is to put a 'wallplate' on either side and then skew screw your joists to these.

Assming the span is not very great and it won't be a solid affair i.e. It won't hold snow then 4x2 should be fine.

Thanks for the reply r896neo and sorry for the late response

do you mean screw/bolt wood joists to the garage/house walls and then screw the cross pieces into those? Or is their a specific piece of metal called a wall plate that you're referring to? Can you provide a link if so?

Sorry for being dense!

thanks

Damson

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks so will screw/bolt wall plate into wall and skew screw joists into that.

thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back