Decking between 2 walls - one rendered!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I'm going to be decking between 2 walls in my lovely girlfriend's garden. (Quite how I got talked into this I don't know!!!)

The garden is a rectangle 1.8 x 4.2m and the is a sturdy garden wall on one side and a garage wall on the other which is rendered.

My plan is to fix joist hangers to either wall and run joists between them - then lay the decking long ways. I'll be using 1m centres on the joists - is that too much? I've heard 400mm is more standard.

As the deck will run wall to wall I wasn't going to mess around with long spans of timber on either side and instead use off cuts bolted to the wall (with the gap to allow drainage) to hold the hangers. Should I hack off the relevant areas of render on the garage wall back to the brick work before I fix them? Or will I be ok to leave it and bolt through the render?

I've never drilled bricks before for the insertion of a wall bolt so I was wondering which type of bit to use - I've got a hammer drill!

Any hints or tips would be much appriciated!!

Thanks for your time!!

J :D

Sponsored Links
if youve a wall either side then its fairly easy. Run a length of timber along each wall and bolt it to the wall. (Use rawl bolts for this) That will give you a strong fixing each side. You can then span between the timbers with the cross memebers at 400mm centres. (anything bigger than this and you will get a bouncy saggy deck. 1m will be like a trampoline.)

You can use joist hangers, or simply skew nail the cross memebers through into the timbers fixed to the walls. Then use blocks of timber to support the frame off of the floor.

Cover it with a decent landscaping fabric and decking and your done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back