Fixing a half installed outdoor tap kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm trying to help someone with an outdoor tap kit they've bought from B&Q that they've half installed. I'm not all that experienced with plumbing but apparently I know more than them! The outdoor tap has a hose leading to a plastic female connector, as far as I can tell it's 3/4" (I'm rubbish at measuring these things and they've thrown the box with the instructions). It fitted nicely onto a spare hot water washing machine valve that was nearby which from memory are usually 3/4"?. A shame it was hot and not cold!

228000_227319_92880_17434994_thumb.jpg

228000_227319_92877_92965766_thumb.jpg

(I can't get the images to rotate the right way unfortunately, I've tried uploading twice, I'm blaming my phone).

They were replacing an old outdoor tap, which was connected to this stopcock valve. Again, as far as I can tell, a standard 15mm fitting (you can see the spare washing machine valve here which fitted the hose connector).

228000_227319_92881_79739792_thumb.jpg

228000_227319_92882_12736694_thumb.jpg

Any advice on the best way to get these to join? Can I get a coupler with a male end for the 3/4" hose connector, and a 15mm olive nut fitting on the other side? I'm struggling to pick out the right bit. Is it worth wrapping tape around both ends as well? I'm not sure I trust the plastic hose connector!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If there is a straight length of pipework to go off, then this will be the trick to go from 15mm pipe to 3/4" male.

Although, those tap kits are carp.

Remember, you need to install a double check valve on the pipe run, before the pipe exits the building to the outdoor tap.

an outdoor tap with a built in double check valve is not sufficient to meet water regs.

Sponsored Links
There isn't a length of pipe to work off, I was hoping to connect the coupler directly to the stopcock you see in the third photo, with the hose to the tap connecting directly into the coupler as well. Will that not work?

I have a few spare bits lying around.. There's a spare short length of 15mm pipe with a nut and olive at one end that looks like it came off the stopcock to begin with. Plastic pushfit(?) on the other end (photo below).

228000_227319_92883_30753053_thumb.jpg

No double check valve, so that will need to be added. Any chance I can get one that will fit as a coupler between the stopcock and the hose connector?

That is not a double check valve!

Let me see if I can imagine whats going on there: -

You have a stop cock (a gate valve) that has a male 3/4" BSPP thread on it that is currently fitted internally. This supplies the tap with water and nothing else?

You want to use the tap kit, which most of it you have deemed useless since you have a supply to go from (the gate valve).

If you connected from the gate valve with the 3/4" to 15mm to a stub piece of pipe, you will then be able to go from that to the double check valve, onto another stub piece of pipe. from there you will want to have the 15mm compression to male 3/4" thread and attach the hose.

I assume you know what you are doing from there?

All together though, this is an absolute lash up and should be done all in copper to a wall plate elbow. From there you can connect what you desire.

That is not a double check valve!

Let me see if I can imagine whats going on there: -

You have a stop cock (a gate valve) that has a male 1/2" BSPP thread on it that is currently fitted internally. This supplies the tap with water and nothing else?

You want to use the tap kit, which most of it you have deemed useless since you have a supply to go from (the gate valve).

If you connected from the gate valve with the 1/2" to 15mm to a stub piece of pipe, you will then be able to go from that to the double check valve, onto another stub piece of pipe. from there you will want to have the 15mm compression to male 3/4" thread and attach the hose.

I assume you know what you are doing from there?

All together though, this is an absolute lash up and should be done all in copper to a wall plate elbow. From there you can connect what you desire.

Yes, I appreciate this is a bit of a bodge.

The gate valve is inside, and only supplies the external tap. They've already fitted the external tap and fed the hose through.

What you've described is correct. I'll need another stub of pipe but otherwise that sounds good, thanks.

Well, I did what I could, unfortunately the existing gate valve had a slight leak, but more important the hose connector from the tap kit was a little leaky as well, so I've abandoned this for now. I'll go at it with some copper pipe and do it properly another time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back