Fixing a slipped slate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a bungalow and a roof slate, from near the ridge, has slipped completely off the roof.

I called a few roofers, one didn't return my call and the other, understandably, wouldn't just return the slate to its rightful place. They would also have to check the roof for any other issues and that could increase the cost.

In these current times and with no visible water ingress, increased cost isn't really an option. Therefore, I'm planning on doing it myself.

I've ordered a slate ripper, copper nails and a pack of hall hooks and was just looking for any advice you guys could give?

The roof isn't steep nor that high but my worry is crawling up the slate. Should I be able to do this without damaging any others?

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Very likely you may damage other slates.

Post a picture , maybe there is a better access solution

Looked what happened to Rod Hull, he wanted to fix his aerial.

Post pictures so that you can be advised from the roofers on here, but also call around a few more roofers, even send them a few pics and ask for a quote.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is the slate broken, or maybe just slipped due to nail sickness?
I make my own hall hooks from stainless wire but with the hidden end not large enough to pierce the felt - just enough to slip over the slaters laths.
I cant see why the slate can't go back in the original position though but as data says, shinning up the roof will likely end in grief. I have my roof ladder covered with foam pipe insulation which helps a lot.
John :)

I think he is in Scotland, batten/Lathes are rarely used up there. nothing to stop a loop being formed for a fixing or even a tight hook to slip over the lower slate head

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back