Fixing a workbench to a hollow wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to turn a bedroom into an office space. I have a wall of length 2.8m and i have bought a workbench that length to run the whole way across the wall. On one end the wall is solid and the other end and the 2.8m length are hollow walls. I am unsure on how to secure this workbench to the wall as i will be littering the workbench with a lot of expensive equipment. Can you help me by informing me on what screws, plugs and techniques to use to do this. I have trawled the internet for information but cannot find any that leaves me feeling confident

Sponsored Links
You'll need to fix a timber bearer (maybe 50mm x 25mm planed square edge pine) on all of the 3 walls - the hollow walls are the ones that need great care, and for these we use hollow wall anchors (Screwfix 12229 foe example).
However, there will be vertical timber studs rising within the hollow walls, and if you can fix your bearer directly into these then so much the better.
The problem is, naturally, finding them......often they can be located by tapping and listening to the change in sound - electronic 'stud finders' can play a part too.
For fixing into solid walls, consider an 8mm plastic wall plug (24374) and a 5 gauge screw.
Your workbench will need supporting by 'peg legs' (85795) to be on the safe side - 2.8mm is quite a span. You will need to consider how high you want the bench to be, obviously.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back