Extra Long Workbench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a new garage that is 6m x 6m, and I would like to build a workbench along the full length of the back wall. It does not need to be fancy as it is mainly to have power tools on top and a lower shelf to store stuff off the floor.

I have done some searching on the net for plans, but nothing seems to be as long as this. I want it to be sturdy, and was thinking of using re claimed timber as I am told it will be a lot cheaper.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what size timber to use, how often supports should be, what style they should be and what to use as the top and shelf.

Many thanks

Michael

Sponsored Links
if your using recycled your better to do 2 benches off 2.8m as you are very unlikly to get 20 ft long timber

you could consider scaffold boards or worktop for the tops or make the benches 2440 and use sheet material and replace when its worn out

Thanks big-all

I think the total internal size is something like 5720mm, so doing it in two or even three sections would probably be a good idea. Whatever goes on the top will probably be covered in 4mm mdf so that it can be changed if damaged. The walls are square and plumb, but the floor is not, so I might have a wee bit of messing about to get it level.

As the top will be covered, I thought re claimed solid core doors might do a good job.

Cheers

Michael

yep possibly 2 with doors and a central more solid bench with a big vice and all the heavy hitting area

Sponsored Links
18mm flooring chipboard is cheap and a suitable size.

Reclaimed solid core firedoors make good bench tops, I use them in my engineering workshop. either 44 or 54mm.

For the base you could just make flat topped "A" frames from reclaimed 4x2 ceiling joists but it will be as cheap and a lot nicer to use 38x89CLS, plave these to come under the door joints plus one under the middle of each.

Another option would be some reclaimed kitchen cabinets and worktops

Jason

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. Found this link which I may use: http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/articles/2004/03/18/work_that_bench/?page=3

I thought the plan looks fairly simple with no joints to be made, though i can manage that, and have done on thw bench in my shed.

Will start measuring and drawing next week. To be honest, if flooring works out cheaper than reclaimed fire doors then I might go with that, even if just for the lower shelf.

I think the idea of doing it in three sections is pretty good and may go with that. My original post was based on really long benches that I have seen in timber supply places where they have a cross cut saw to cut long lengths to size.

Cheers

Michael

If you do decide to go for chipboard, make sure the edges are supported and stiffened, otherwise it will sag horribly.

I'm planning a 5m long bench at the moment; I'm thinking about building a torsion box using CLS timbers, with the rear timber screwed to the timber frame of the building, and possibly moisture resistant MDF top and bottom skins, or plywood. The top of the bench will be finished in replaceable oil-tempered hardboard. I may use some steel cabinets I already have to provide support underneath: I haven't decided yet.

However, if I were using the bench for hammering I would want it to have more mass. My woodworking bench top is built from four-inch offcuts of chipboard (I got a pallet load for next to nothing) glued together with hardboard on the top and underside. It weighs rather a lot (two-man lift for a bench top 6 feet by 2).

The big long-term difficulty I have with benches is keeping them clear enough to work on. I never seem to manage that for long.

Try your local MFI for worktops, when they were still trading you could pick up a damaged top for practically nothing, so who knows now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back