How can I find studs in plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to hang a tv on a hollow wall, I dont have a stud finder.

Is there a way of finding the studs to screw into ?

Eg is there a standard spacing from a corner ?

Sponsored Links
find the position of the wooden studs in the wall that the plasterboard is nailed to, and get at least one screw in a stud. If necessary you can run a batten behind the mirror fixed to one or more studs

Often you can detect the stud position by looking or feeling for tiny dimples or spots showing through the decoration, or tapping with your knuckles. Otherwise, drill a hole through the wall where you think a screw should go, and feel through it with my Special Tool (£50 plus p&p). If no stud there, form the Special Tool into a shallow curve and push it through the hole so that it travels sideways, first to one side, then the other. When it meets a stud, mark the distance, withdraw the Special Tool and mark the wall at the same distance so you know where to drill.

Special Tool

My price £50

Available from stock.

Standard postage £6

Special Delivery £15 extra.

61FTZKuPM%2BL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Another detector is a magnet??? get one as strong as possible, the magnet will find nails and screws, or [My particular favoured] is a bright light shon, not direct on to a surface, but across the surface.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I am trying to hang a tv on a hollow wall, I dont have a stud finder.

Is there a way of finding the studs to screw into ?

Eg is there a standard spacing from a corner ?
Usually around 400Mm centres but no guarantee.You could mark up where mount for tv is going then using fine blade screw drive poke hole thru this position until you hit an upright , you will only need one to take the weight , other screw positions can be fixed with plasterboard fixings.

Thanks, if I cant find one would I be ok with all decent plasterboard fixings lije tte long plastic ones you snap off ?

2 years ago I fixed 3 large shelves and a 42" telly to a paramount board wall in my lads bedroom using red gripit fixings, with nothing being fixed to any studs. All are still solid. Only downside is you are left with a few 18mm holes to fill if you take them down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back