Fixing aluminium strip to wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fixing some thin 2mm aluminium strip to chipboard.

On a test piece I've drilled holes and screwed it down, but the screw heads stand up a bit from the surface. It seems too much to get an angled hole and matching screen accurately screwed in so it fits flush. Is there better solution?

Can I simply glue the strip on? What glue? Will it last for years?

If interested it's for some kitchen drawers where the outer wood effect laminate has burnt off in places down the side edges next to the oven. This should be much cheaper than replacing the units or unit fronts and should act as a heat deflector in future.

Actually do you think it will look a bit odd with the edging down one side of the drawers and not the other side or other units?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Aluminium is a very good heat sinc things could get worse, post some pics more the better,there are some very resourceful people on this site that may have a solution

all you need to do is countersink the screws into the strip!!
just use a larger drill bit to do it, dead easy with alu strip

Sponsored Links
Ah hah, so that's it. Thanks people.

I'm still a bit concerned that 2mm is rather thin. It would have to be just enough for the screw to fit just flush and not too much to go through the hole. I might get a pro in as I'm not too accurate. On the other hand I can always get a bit more strip and try again. Pilot hole then the countersink bit.

Still pondering if it will look ok too. It will mean the drawers will stick out by almost 1/2 cm on one side must check they have enough wiggle to accomodate that. (It's a cupboard the other side of the cooker so that'll be ok.)

Suppose I'll give it a go and see as it's cheap compared to replacing all the kitchen unit fronts.

get a bit off steel lay the strip on it drill in small stages until the countersunk hole is the correct depth
then all you do is line up the hole with the dimple and steel being much harder you just drill and when it hits the steel job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back