Fixing capping to brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

What is your favourite way to fix galvanised steel capping / channelling to brickwork, to be plastered over?

I’ve seen “capping nails” for sale, but my brick is pretty hard and I don’t much fancy the idea. Screws seem like a lot of faff. I’ve tried gluing but it needs a reasonably smooth brick surface, and my chases typically aren’t.

What should I be doing?

Sponsored Links
TBH I couldn't bring myself to use Gripfill, but there you go.

Screws may sound a faff, but not that difficult really.

On hard surfaces I tend to drill surface, bang in a red wall plug, and bang in a plasterboard nail.

Further to the above, don't put the clout nails through the capping, put them at the side of it and catch the egde under the head

Sponsored Links
Drilling:& screwing is a bit of a faff granted but once you've started (if you have a decent sds drill) it is probably quicker than dealing with all the nail fails

Be sure to wear gloves; metal capping can be an absolute bastard of a **** to handle.

Metal capping isn't much tougher than plastic capping - it can still get drilled and nailed through.

There's some people on YouTube who insist on using metal, presumably trying to impress, but plastic is so much easier to work with, including when altering wiring in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back