Fixing concealed cistern to bathroom vanity unit securely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me. I'm replacing an old concealed cistern with a new unit. The existing holes are too far apart as the new cistern is not as wide. I'm not sure what fixings I should use or if I can just use the existing screws?

The cistern is going to be attached to the back of a vanity unit. The previous screws that were in the existing cistern are 50mm long and it seems as though they went into both the wood and also into the wall judging by the length of them. I am not going to be able to take the unit apart to get to the wall to get a wall plug in. Is there any other way I can screw cistern in without remove vanity unit?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi PBoD,

I've attached some pics to help. The 1st is the existing space and the next is the existing bracket. The 3rd is the existing screw and the 4th pic is the new bracket to be fitted. The last pic is just to the side of the back wall and it appears to be attached directly to the breeze block (which is just visible behind the pipe).

Just let me know if you want any further pics.

Thanks again!!!!!!

So you have a wooden vanity unit, then some plaster/plasterboard, then a wall?

Drill a hole through all three, then insert a decent wall plug into the wall. Make sure it's the wall it's into, not just the plaster. Ensure it's at least an inch into the wall. You might need to hammer the plug in, if so then do it with a screw partly screwed into it to extend it's length.

And, stating the obvious, make sure there's no pipes or wires etc behind before you drill.

Edit... If you screw the old screws into the old holes lightly (but enough to grip into the old plug) then wiggle and pull, they might pull the old wall plugs out. They'll be a bit mangled so you probably won't be able to use them again, but it'll show you what you're trying to do.

Sponsored Links
Since the whole thing is going to be hidden, it doesn't really matter if you punch a hole through the panel to see what's behind. If you're clever about things, you may well be able to slip a timber batten to behind your intended fixing points an screw this batten to the wall securely. This will make fiting the cistern much easier too :)

Looks like a quite simple process of drilling and plug through both vanity back panel and wall. (being wary of any service pipes/cables that are routed in that area), then fix support bracket.

Thanks for all your replies guys. After sleeping on it I've thought of another solution. The only reason i'm changing cistern is due to the internal parts being covered in scale (although it worked fine when I removed it). Is it possible I can use the same cistern and just replace the internal parts? I've attached a couple of pics of old cistern.

Thanks again for your advice

Is it possible I can use the same cistern and just replace the internal parts?
Yes. Talk to your local plumbing suppliers (not a DIY store). There are various kits of replacement "innards" they can supply

Hi PBoD and JAK thanks again for your replies. PBoD interestingly enough I was looking at that same Fluid Master kit from screw fix. In view of JAK's comment is there anything I need to watch out for or will the fluid master kit be ok to put straight in my cistern? Thanks again guys. As long as there are no issues i'll be on my way to screw fix in a moment!!!!!

I am assuming you have push to flush function (as link) rather than lever (there is an alternative with lever).
The only difference is the float valve, but will fit your cistern no probs.

Hi PBoD, Yeah the old unit was also push to flush. Thanks again for all your help. I've just picked up the unit so i'll fit it and keep my fingers crossed lol!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back