Fixing decking balustrade - quick Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one, I've just finsihed the frame work for my decking and am wondering about best method to fix balustrading between posts.

Should the balustrade be 'hung' between posts, so it is only fixed to the posts and has a gap between deck board and base rail.

Or can you sit the base rail onto the decking boards and screw through?

Most methods I have seen just fit the hand/base rails to the posts, but screwing through the base rail would be more secure in my eyes, but would it cause problems with movement/shrinkage of the deck boards and splitting/warping?

Sponsored Links
Any advice appreciated :)

The rain is slowing me down quite a bit, but I'll soon be in a position where I want to fit the balustrading and would like to get it right :)

I personally think it looks much better and is less prone to rotting when hung an inch or 2 clear of the boards.

I usually use long posts concreted into the ground and brought right up through to form posts for balustrades but that may not be an option if your midway through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back