Fixing noggins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just put my joists on for the flat roof shed i am doing but now i have to put my noggins in , the question is how far apart do they need to be and the joist are 6"x2" so do the noggins need to be 6" depth as well or could i put 2x2 between the joists.

Sponsored Links
malawihap said:
Just put my joists on for the flat roof shed i am doing but now i have to put my noggins in , the question is how far apart do they need to be and the joist are 6"x2" so do the noggins need to be 6" depth as well or could i put 2x2 between the joists.
They need to be 6" to stop the joists twisting, you can use 2"x2" for herringbone structure which does the same thing. It's unsual to have noggins in flat roof shed, normally a purlin or beam support underneath but I don't know the span of your shed roof. If you do use the 6" noggins, draw a centre line and put in noggins on each side of line so it's off centre which make it easier to fix it by nailing into the side joists

Thxs masona
The size of my roof is 3mx3m , so i only need to put 1 row of noggins in then masona.

You could use 4"x2" if you're having ceiling, this is will give you a air-flow on top & bottom of the nogins and don't forget air vent front & back.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back