Fixing plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys, new to the forum, but have a question. hope you can help.
I have to tile a plaster board wall tomorrow, but have discovered there is 3inches of insulation sheeting between the plaster board & the wall, which is only glued to the concrete block wall. so i have to know what plugs & screws i can use to secure board, before tiling, without taking the insulating/board off. thanks in advance.

Cheers, Edd

Sponsored Links
Are you 100% sure there are no battens or anything?

Fixing through the boards and insulation to the blockwork doesn't seem like a good idea IMO,boards direct onto blockwork is ok but the insulation will cause a problem.

I think your best bet is to remove it and fit studs then refiit fixing boards to studs.

I think your best bet is to remove it and fit studs then refiit fixing boards to studs.
After having just removed the dot & dab plasterboards in my bathroom can I just warn you that they do not come off easily and once they're off you then need to remove the dots of adhesive left on the wall to give you a semi level surface to attach the new boards.
I've spent hours bashing away at the adhesive dots with a bolster chisel and club hammer.

It's left me so traumatised that I am unsure whether I really want to dot and dab the new boards onto the wall or nail battens in and then nail to them in order to get a smooth surface to tile.

Unfortunately I need all the space to fit a 700mm bath so will have to go with dot & dab :(

Cheers lads, i contacted gyproc, they supply nailable plugs, as a supplementary fixing for their insulation board. i had a 50 mile round trip to Edinburgh to get them, as only one place in Scotland had them in stock.

Cheers Edd

Sponsored Links
Cheers lads, i contacted gyproc, they supply nailable plugs, as a supplementary fixing for their insulation board. i had a 50 mile round trip to Edinburgh to get them, as only one place in Scotland had them in stock.

Cheers Edd
Have you got a product code for those nails? I would consider using them myself although the boards I removed were dot and dab to the blocks and tiled with no mechanical fixings. They certainly were not falling down so I figured I'd do the same again.

Sorry, i don't have a product code, i've left the box at the job, but if you go onto the gyproc web site you will get it there.

Edd

i also have to fit a section of plaster board for tiling onto. Quite small in size about 1m sq. Wooden battens are impossible due to the level needing to be flush with remaining plaster.

Would other posters reccommend screws and rawl plugs into the bricks, or dot and dab (what type of adhesive is best here?) or both ?

After having just removed the dot & dab plasterboards in my bathroom can I just warn you that they do not come off easily It's left me so traumatised that I am unsure whether I really want to dot and dab :(

I welcome the fact that dry wall adhesive is so good at its job and find it rather reassuring that it grabs so well. In fact, i would be more alarmed if it did come off easily. :rolleyes:

i also have to fit a section of plaster board for tiling onto. Quite small in size about 1m sq. Wooden battens are impossible due to the level needing to be flush with remaining plaster.

Would other posters reccommend screws and rawl plugs into the bricks, or dot and dab (what type of adhesive is best here?) or both ?

I would dot n dab, with adhesive, then plug and screw through the adhesive dabs, if you are putting a heavy tile on. What kind of tiles are you putting up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back