fixing /replacing a bent MAC Allister drill chuck.. or spindle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've googled extensively for a solution to this and not found one... maybe that's not a good sign, but I'll try anyway!

I've got a Mac Allister drill which my dad kindly (?) donated me after he dropped it and bent something so that it no longer drills straight. I don't know if it's the chuck that's bent or, perhaps more likely, the spindle that the chuck fits onto. I've made one attempt at removing the chuck and having since watched a Youtube vid am about to try again :-/ . But - does anyone know if the spindle itself can be replaced or maybe even bent back, if it's bent, or am I wasting my time removing the chuck at all? Any other advice to avoid taking it to the tip? I hate throwing things away and I love fixing things...

Thanks for any advice

KFWL

Sponsored Links
Just as a PS, just been wrestling with the chuck retaining screw (clockwise) and it's just not budging at all... really don't want to wrestle any further if it can't be fixed....

I'd guess it's the spindle which is bent. Even if you get the chuck off, trying to straighten the spindle then risks damaging the chuck mounting arrangement. Personally, I'd leave the chuck screwed on, try to identify in which direction the spindle is bent and just whack the chuck in the opposite direction.

Thanks Alec! Good idea - guess I have nothing to lose in the circumstances! I'll try that.
KFWL

Sponsored Links
The chuck screw, (down the centre of the chuck), is normal threaded i.e. to undo it you have to unscrew it anti-clockwise.

Every drill I’ve had used a left handed thread on the Chuck.

Of course they do. My mistake. They are used when the drive shaft, be it a drill, saw etc, goes in the same direction to prevent it undoing in use.
Please accept my apologies, must have been tired when I posted. ;)

Thanks all - yes, thought that was the case re screw thread. I'd already checked the Youtube vids Stivino and they weren't any help but thanks for the thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back