Replace Chuck On Old B&D Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My old faithful B&D electric drill is showing its age and I need to replace the chuck.

There is no central fixing screw inside the jaws to undo, so anyone able to offer advice how to remove it? Youtube clips all seem to expect a central securing screw. But this baby is 30yrs old ;)

The faded label shows B&D model SOK14 / 400H.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Presumably a non-reversible drill with the chuck screwed onto the drill shaft

Fit a ring spanner onto the long arm of the largest allen key that will fit into the chuck then give the free end of the spanner a sharp tap with a hammer in a clockwise direction as seen when looking at the front of the drill. This should unwind the chuck

But to be honest, if the chuck is goosed then it's time to invest in a new drill.

Thanks Jackrae I'll give that a go.

I'm old school when it comes to tools. Why buy new when it can be repaired/sharpened? When you consider the prices of modern drills, I would have to spend big style for a model that would last as my B&D has.

Once I have the chuck off, my next problem will be whether I can source a replacement. :confused:

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
That technique also works until the day when you snap off the key spigot. Been there, done it :D :D

I'm old school when it comes to tools. Why buy new when it can be repaired/sharpened? When you consider the prices of modern drills, I would have to spend big style for a model that would last as my B&D has.
Would you consider £100 expensive?

You can buy a Bosch blue sds for this and it would pi$$ all over the B&D both in performance and durability. Plus, it will actually drill holes in ANY masonry.

Give your B&D a good funeral then throw the pile of junk in the bin.

Give your B&D a good funeral then throw the pile of junk in the bin.

I've had it so long that it will be difficult to part with. It isn't often used in anger as all my major DIY work was done way back and is now only used occasionally, so £100 does seem a lot of money for the little use it will get.

I would think that would be fine, but obviously the important thing is 3/8 UNF thread.......3/8" you should be able to measure easily enough, and a UNF thread looks what it is - finer than the norm.
John :)

I wouldn't spend £20 repairing something that could give up the ghost at any moment.

B&Q offer, a Bosch corded hammer drill at £30 .
Homebase same deal different model.

Keyless chucks are available on e-bay from £3.99!! They do work OK, I have one on my "Fred Bloggs" 1/2" hammer drill.

New chuck arrived and fitted to my old faithful and looking good as new.

I feel the urge to drill a hole or 2 ;)

Trigger: And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.

Sid: How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?

Trigger: Theres the picture. What more proof do you need?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back