Fixing shower tray with riser kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, just after some clarification, hope you can help..

I am installing a 1200x800 shower tray, into a corner, which will then have a small partition erected and a sliding door to complete the enclosure.

I intended to mortar the tray to a waterproofed ply floor (as per MI's), but compatibility problems mean the waste position must move, and the tray has to rise! No major drama, some timber supports, and more ply will effectively lift the original design by 80-90mm. I didn't fancy a riser kit, as little legs just don't inspire the same confidence as a bunch of 4x2 and a wooden board.
However - I spotted under the now incompatible tray, 7 circular recesses, looking suspiciously like they were intended for riser legs. This being the case, I wonder if the manufacturers generally recommend NO cement with riser legs? If the legs are fixed directly to the tray, and screwed to the floor, where would the mortar go? Also, is it actually solid enough?

Its an MX Elements, stone resin tray I will be buying (wide enough lip to take the door), and browsing their website seems to bear out what I have suggested i just wanted to check out the practicalities of using a riser, and whether it could actually save me some hassle?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I never use riser legs, but I was under the impression they were adjustable. But they are stable enough to handle the tray - and a couple of people in the shower as well, so I wouldn't worry too much. You'll also be able to get the cover for the legs, and that'll be neater and quicker to use, and the riser kit will allow access under the tray for any final adjustments to the waste. I'd go for the risers, but it's your choice of course.

Yup, these stone resin tray's are sturdy bits of kit. They're designed to use riser kits with removeable PVC riser panels that allows easy access to the waste as Doggit mentions.
The tray will probably be recessed for the setting in material to bed into. If on legs though you wouldn't normally use mortar as well. The legs normally have high impact adhesive pads that locate the legs to the tray.
These larger sized resin trays are heavy, if on a level platform and sealed properly along walls/contact areas, they should not be going anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Great. Thanks guys. The riser kit is only about 25 quid too. No brainer it seems.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back