Fixing sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
185F8DA0-ECD4-40D6-9161-58C19F48E976.jpeg
Sons been doing his garden up and has bought some sleepers to finish between the patio and the turf. At the minute they’re just sitting on a bit he’s dug out and they’re loose. Whats the best way to secure them in place? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Maybe a bed of cement for the sleepers to rest on with some rebar protruding a few inches. Then drill some corresponding holes in the bottom of the sleepers and just lower them on to the protruding rebar? Maybe that’s too much faffing about though….

Not sleepers but 6" x 4" planks I put down to edge a flower bed for my step daughter a few years ago. I bought a couple of 25mm wooden curtain poles and cut them into 24" lengths, drilled through the 6" side and hammered the poles through down to a depth of about 18" for the bottom layer. The second, (and therefore top), layer was secured in the same manner with the poles cut down to 12" and the holes drilled off line to the lower ones. The holes should be a nice tight fit for the poles to help prevent movement and minimal shrinkage.

Sponsored Links
You might want to think about drainage, rather than cement them in place, using a sand/rock/gravel base in a shallow trench, then butt up to the sleeper with a supporting slab.
I'm not sure a curtain pole will last that long, either, as it's not really designed to go outdoors let alone underground, subject to the elements. They're usually made of softwood and are untreated.
It's a shame he's put such a large fence around that patch of grass/patio: it makes the whole thing look like a posh prison yard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back