fixing sole plate to blockwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm building and extension using Sips and need to get the blockwork in. However I'm having trouble sourcing the 215x215x440 7n blocks and BC want to see the sole plate shot fired. Any ideas? 7n seems a big ask for a single storey extension but if I need to keep to 7n can I lay 100x215s on their side? will a 3.6n cope with a nail being fired into it?? I've got the bricks on hold and need to sort quickly. thanks in advance!
Graham

Sponsored Links
Can't see a need for 7n. Yeah you can lay the blocks flat down Surely screws & plugs will be better than shot firing, but yes the blocks will cope..

Sponsored Links
thanks for the sarcasm! the BC prefers to see them shot fired and I"d prefer it as I don't like the idea of drilling through DPC. Yes I do mean sole plate. I'm installing Sips. two blocks side by side means I'm firing into the mortar. yes stuart45 those blocks would work but nobody local has them in. To top it all I spoke with another BC today and he suggested using bricks!!!!

Shot firing was used a lot on site, although sole plate anchors can also be used.

Never really understood the logic of nailing a soleplate to a row of lightweight blocks, then putting several tons of walls and roof above it

Block layer flat?
Also can't you just use concrete screws?

You can, but on lightweights you tend to have to pre drill, otherwise the concrete screw tends to just make itself into a drill bit and chew a hole so big it doesn't grip anything.. as noted though, you're really just tacking the plate in place with a few nails. It's the several tons of house you put on top of it that will hold it in place and stop it blowing away in the wind, not any amount of fixings

have to pre drill
You need to pre drill anywy with concrete screws. Unless you've found a self tapping concrete screw, which I don't want know about, which actually drills it's own hole?

Last edited:
I've seen people try (and manage in some cases) to wind a concrete screw into thermalite without predrilling. My post was intended as a precautionary note to predrill even though they're soft, because the results are a bit of a mixed bag.

Hi

I'm building and extension using Sips and need to get the blockwork in. However I'm having trouble sourcing the 215x215x440 7n blocks and BC want to see the sole plate shot fired. Any ideas? 7n seems a big ask for a single storey extension but if I need to keep to 7n can I lay 100x215s on their side? will a 3.6n cope with a nail being fired into it?? I've got the bricks on hold and need to sort quickly. thanks in advance!
Graham

hi there! shot fired fixings going through the DPC act like a gasket according to TRADA. other fixings through the DPC are more likely to cause moisture issues
what fixings did you go for in the end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back