Fixing solid wood floor to FLOW SCREED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new flow screed put down in my extension.

It was a cementitious screed, that went down as a liquid, with a fully tanked membrane underneath. It was a couple of months ago so it is fully dry but obviously I will be checking this before putting flooring down.

The screed has a very smooth self-sealed surface - it is quite shiny, and not dusty at all.

My question, is whether I can glue a solid wood floor to this? Do I need to sand off the shiny layer?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Think you will need to rough it up, I did mine the next day with a scrubbing brush. This is the laitence layer.
You might need a wire brush now. I was tiling and gave it a coat (or two) of primer G, but not sure if you need to do the same for wood floor.

Presume it was an anhydrite screed?

Thanks, I believe it was Tarmac Topflow Screed C (or equivalent), which is cementitious, not anhydrite.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the website, you will need to test the subfloor with a protometer or Hydrometer for moisture (anything that tests with metal prongs is'nt suitable for check measuring a floor for moisture), if this checks out, you'll likely need to primer then finishing screed before installing the new wood.

I would speak to the technical services dept of the manufacturer of the screed that you plan to use (all the major manufacturers have a service) and give them the details of the base floor screed and ask for their product recommendations with which to proceed.

We had a similar issue with a Kitchen that was screeded and installed by a local Kitchen company when it came to us fitting a LVT flooring a few months later. The smooth, glassy finish raised our suspicions and the screed tested high for moisture after 7 months of being down. In short, F-Ball adhesives were able to confirm the particular screed (fast dry finishing screed not subfloor builder) would likely always show a high moisture content but with the correct pre-grit primer and self leveller over the top would be absolutely fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back