Fixing spindles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I'm replacing a section of handrail and spindles on our stairs. These are all on the same level and go around the staircase opening, so there's no angled spindles.

To fix these, is it best to pin them diagonally through the top of the spindle and up into the handrail, or through the handrail, then punch and fill? The handrail is being painted so I'm not worried about filler on the top.

Also, what are the best size pins to use?

Lastly, I'm installing a new handrail on the side wall which is brick and plaster. When the old fixings came out it ruined the plaster around the fixings so i've patched this up. The bracket is one of the three hole angle bracket type. Any ideas on the best type of fixing? It was rawl plug and screw but these failed last time as the old plaster is pretty poor.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
there are various ways to do this but if you have to fix them then skew nail from underneath.you might want to use some pva as well?35-40 pins might do the trick but you might have to pre drill the spindles so they do not split?or use a nail gun?

as by the sounds of it your wall is rather shot.or will be if you continue trying to fix the brackets,then maybe either install a batten to the required size.so you can fix where you like and the fixings are spraed over the whole lenght or buy some pigs ear.

You could fit a half post at the wall covering any dodgy plasterwork and offering better fixing options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back