Fixing stringers to walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For loft i have a winder stair to construct, having all the details the stringers are 275x38 in an enclose stairwell 740mm wide.
To fix the stringers would anyone have any recommendations other than "big screws into the walls"

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The straight flight is usually fixed by screws direct into the walls. 4" screws will do (to go through the string, plaster and into the wall).
The tricky bit is fixing the winders. Assuming you have had the stairs made up, the winders should be separate from the straight flight. To accommodate the extra depth, the string is usually deepened at the winders and you can still screw through this into the wall. The sketch taken from BS 585 (Wood Stairs) shows winders supported off blocks screwed to the wall. Hope this helps.

make sure you pack out any areas not touching the wall to stop the string being pulled off line

All to be constructed by myself.
the winder I am making a frame work for each step.

Its a relatively new fixing 6mm dia with its own cutting thread, you can basically drill straight through your wood into the masonry then straight in with the rapier no rawl plug. Faster, stronger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back