Fixing the cistern to the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is a silly question but do you have to screw a cistern to the wall, ours didn't come with any fixings. The one that it replaced was never screwed in, it seemed to just be silconed to the wall, something i don't really want to do thou. Also does the pan have to be screwed to the floor, the sides are straight and although there are two holes they don't go down to the floor so i can't see how it would be fixed.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The cistern will have two holes if it's meant to be fixed to the wall, otherwies no it doesn't.

The pan sounds like it should have a plastic bracket which screws to the floor, then a screw through the pan into the brks.

It does have holes just nothing to fix it with, should the fixings normally come with the toilet, it was bought from Homebse.

Sponsored Links
The correct way to fix a cistern is to use a tap washer where the cistern meets the wall and another on the inside of the cistern, I tend to use screw cover caps on top of the washers also.

The reason you pop a washer between wall and cistern is to stop thermal shock when the water in the cistern gets cold during the night.

Now, hands up who bothers with it? my hand is staying firmly down :LOL:

I simply pop a washer on the inside

I used to save all the low pressure nozzles from the ballvalves, ideal for fixing cisterns.

Yes, perfect!

You quite often see allsorts on them, the plastic from drilled storage cisterns, rawl plug dividers, the main thing is to not screw straight in, it can cause damage to the cistern on intsallation and also when the Complete Cistern moves at a later date with building movement etc.

Use brass or stainless screws, and don't overdo the tightening! If the loo pan holes are horizontal rather than vertical, there should be some pegs that are screwed into the floor - the other end of them has a threaded hole where you screw the pan through - exact measurements called for! Run some silicone around the base when its all done. My loo is like this -from Wickes - smart enough but a right pain to fit. Cheers John :)

I think I may have found the fixings for the pan, I was told they were for the sink but I think they may have come with the toilet, any ideas which they are for?
If they are for the pan how do they work as the back is all closed off, also the holes are horizontal, why are they there, I don't understand, why does nothing ever come with instructions?

They are for the Basin, the pan screws will come with a couple of brackets, a couple of screws and a couple of cover caps.

The brackets are normally grey with lots of tiny holes in to accept a screw

They are for the Basin, the pan screws will come with a couple of brackets, a couple of screws and a couple of cover caps.

If you can't get hold of these brackets, a couple of bits of timber screwed to the floor will suffice - then you can screw through the holes in the side of the pan into them. Just needs a bit of measuring and juggery pokery to get the battens in the right place..

If you can't get hold of these brackets, a couple of bits of timber screwed to the floor will suffice - then you can screw through the holes in the side of the pan into them. Just needs a bit of measuring and juggery pokery to get the battens in the right place..

ey up where ya been dex :?:

ey up where ya been dex :?:
Good evening kev. Been on the BBC's strictly come dancing forum for a bit - have got myself on a bit of a "semi ban" on there as it were :rolleyes:

I notice in my absence that you've been maintaining your friendship with all on here, and forging new links with a Mr Shed :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back