Fixing this mess up next weekend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mother in laws kitchen sprung a tiny leak.
I open the doors and find this mess. And you know If you touch one part the rest is gona spring a leak. And it did so Im just gona put 2 independent traps in so I can get the water to flow out.
Last part with the gaffa tape on is the old lead waste pipe the council used to use.
20200111_141843.jpg
20200111_142015.jpg
20200111_142002.jpg
20200111_141831.jpg
20200111_141837.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I see you have a waste pipe that runs uphill.

Can you shorten the sink waste? It seems to have an extension.

Looks like it’s an adjustable waste outlet, which looks like it may have fell (with weight) causing the leak as the wastepipe isn’t clipped.

Sponsored Links
Is that into an old bit of cast iron to the left that it all runs into? Get a McAlpine compression straight, should fit that ok, you may have to cut out the centre piece of the coupler if it doesn't fit inside. If not you may have to use a flexseal adapter. Clean the outside of the pipe well too and then some oil based paint to stop it rusting. Then you want to use solvent for the rest of it to avoid any future leaks.

Looking at the pics again, the real trouble you have is that the soil pipe is too high in relation to the sink wastes with that setup. 2 P traps as you suggest running into one pipe should give you enough fall from the main sink on the right. The Appliance trap will need to be on the 1/2 bowl on the left.

The waste is light guage galvy. Nightmare. Ive managed to slide the poly down about 6" or so and have used plumbers putty to seal. It seems solid enough atm. Ive also go self amalgamating tape if I have to return to it. The two traps have worked a treat and the elbows I used were poly welded to reduce the comp fitting mess. Unless the MiL tells me its leaking (has been fine all week so far and washing m/c was used frequently) Im calling this one a success.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back