Fixing timber to concrete posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've moved into a new house where the back garden is fenced using concrete fence posts with concrete gravel boards and pretty standard wooden fence panels that slot in. I want to be able to fix a cat proofing system around the perimeter of the garden (It's like a sort of guard rail thing that you bolt on to the top of the fence).

To create some structure on my side of the fence and to give me something to fix all the brackets etc... to I was thinking to screw some 2x4 timber to the existing concrete posts first. My plan was to pilot out 4 holes down centre line of each concrete and timber post first and then fix them by driving some 120mm concrete screws with washers (The TX ones). I'd seen a Youtube video of someone doing this already.

I've heard some stories of the concrete posts being pretty easy to damage when drilled and want to avoid causing damage to a fence that isn't mine! I've asked permission and got the go ahead from my neighbour who installed this fence originally but I don't want to do something irresponsible and make a mess of it. Reading around on this topic there's a lot of differing experiences and opinions but I've never done this specifically myself. In total, I think I'd have to fix to around 20 posts, which seems a lot of scope for having a few failures.

Apologies for the poor picture attached, I haven't been at the house for a while and just wanted to give an idea of the sort of setup I'm talking about. You can see some posts in the picture do have a pre-drilled hole at the top but not all are like this, some are sort of decoratively textured and have no hole.

Any thoughts or advice? Also open to alternatives because I'm struggling to think of any...

Thanks!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-08 at 14.04.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-08 at 14.04.15.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
There are metal rods in H posts you don't want to drill against.
I've always used red fisher plugs fixing hanging brackets ect to posts.
DeWalt extreme masonry bit 6mm going at slow speed nice and easy
Screws.

Last edited:
I am very much opposed to drilling concrete posts. You will weaken them and likely start a crack. If the fence belongs to your neighbour you will have a lot of expense when you have to replace them.

You can get metal clamps.

Cats will get over any fence so you are wasting your time anyway.

If you want to deter intruder cats, get your own. It will repel invaders.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back