Fixing Toilet Pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bathroom fitters have just "finished" - and a day early. On carefully inspecting their work, that do not seem to have screwed the toilet pan or basin pedestal to the floor. They have simply sealed around the join between the sanitaryware and the floor tiles.

Is this acceptable practice? I would really have preferred them to properly drill the tiles and fix the pan and pedestal to the floor securely. They are both sitting on porcelain tiles - which incedentally are poorly laid with the grout already cracking!

Obviously I'm going to get them back in to fix the problems, but is asking to get these items screwed down something I should press for? It might be worth noting that its a close-coupled toilet - I don't know if this has any bearing on what is required.

They're not getting their money till I'm completely happy.

Sponsored Links
IMO it is often the case that the basin pedestal can be secured only with silicone and sometimes without! But I would never ever leave a WC that way.

funny that , I silicone them down and put short screws in as dummies :eek: .........and never had a problem in the 5 years that 2 have been here@ home.......or any comebacks from previous jobs:cool: ......that way the floor covering is impervious to liquids on the floor :mad: ........BUT sounds like the tiling has been bodged :oops:

pan needs to be screwed down,the pedestal does not need screwing down silicone is ok.make sure the silicone is anti fungal not the cheap sh1te :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If the grouts cracking tile job is a botch up must be lifting .And no pro would leave the pan unscrewed ,think your a candidate 4 mug o the week if you part with you hard earned.

Some porcelain tiles need diamond tipped drills to get through them, a bit of a hassle. If there's fully set silicone under the pan, I've never seen one come loose.
But if you have a wooden floor and the grout is cracking, they probably didn't use (enough) flexible-making additive in the grout OR the tile cement. Oh dear, they'll come up if that's the case.

petetheleak said:
If the grouts cracking tile job is a botch up must be lifting .And no pro would leave the pan unscrewed ,.
I must be a bodger then , :oops: Still I`ve retired with the mortgage paid :LOL: :LOL: perhaps I can get a slot on Rogue traders .......and I`ll send back my C+G certs from 1975 if I can find them :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back