Fixing twin and earth when you're no good at using a hammer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone for any solution for clipping direct twin and earth to masonary when the surface is too hard to get a nail in cleanly?
Now it's probably half to do with my striking of the hammer. I try and go in the mortar but still can't get it neat.

I've read something about using clip plugs, drill the hole, put the plug in and hammer the nail into the plug but I've never seen these?

Has anyone any solutions (apart from trunking/conduit) that will help me?

Thanks.
Chris.

Sponsored Links
For a long run it can be worth fixing a length of 1 by 1 softwood to the masonary and then pin the cable to that. Putting the cable on top of the 1 by 1 offers the cable a bit of protection from impact from objects thrown at the wall.

The method I use when fixing T&E to hard masonry where the mortar joint is not offering a secure fixing is use plastic/nylon dowels, you do require to drill the wall to insert dowels, then the cables clips hammer as normal.
Cheaper solution than the clip fix clamps. You can get them at about a penny a dowel.

Sponsored Links
Is the cable going to remain exposed, or is this just to hold it to the wall before being plastered over?

The cable is to remain exposed. I have been tinkering around with it and it fits perfectly with a 5mm plug and a 3.0 x 30 screw.
So a little long winded but at least I can get some neat clips in. It's not a long run, maybe 2-3m.
Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back