Fixing USB lamp - wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has managed to break a USB lamp at the switch. I’ve can use a soldering iron so thought I’d have a go at a fix before scraping. The switch is 3 way, middle being off, left gives a cool white light, right gives a warm white.

I’m not sure where the wires need to go on each side of the 3 terminals. On the ‘light side’ there are 3 wires red black and white. But on the ‘plug side’ as far as I can see there is only black and red, I don’t see a white wire that’s snapped off below the sheath. Looking at the wire lengths I thought black would go together in the middle, reds together on the left side, but does the white go on its own?

See photos to help understand, hopefully someone can make sense of it

IMG_5308.jpegIMG_5307.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming both blacks should be joint together and the red on the plug side should go to one of the corresponding terminals on the switch, along with the white wire to the other terminal.
Have you got a multimeter?

chances are you'll have two separate positives from the lamp, one for each group of LEDs and a common ground. From the supply, you'll have positive and ground.

Now if I was designing it, I'd have black as ground from the LEDs, in which case, you'd want to join through the two blacks, put the red from supply onto the common of the switch (centre) and put the two other leads from the LEds on the outer terminals.

But I'd test it first, temporary (without switch - maybe even holding them together) join the two blacks, and the two reds, leave white unconnected see what it it does, and then swap the red for the white

USB without PD is 5v, so quite safe as long as not using a dodgy USB PSU, just try not to short them

LED lighting is often common positive, so try red-red, and then the black to either black or white.
Either way, it can't be broken any more than it already is.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Indeed it was red-red, black-white and black on its own in the middle. Thanks for all the tips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back