Wiring Outside Lamp (Mains Cable & Switch Cable To Lamp)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone please advise me how to wire up an outside lamp where I am using a cable from the mains with red, black and earth, an internal wall switch with red, black and earth and the outside lamp with brown, blue and earth?

I wired it up incorrectly today and blew a circuit on the fuse box. I have changed the fuse and disconnected the lamp so power is OK again but need some advice on how how to wire it up correctly.

I have attached a picture of the wiring that I hope to be able to get right and would appreciate any advice on how to wire it up.

The wiring that blew the fuse was to put both red into top left of the connector, both black into the top middle of the connector and both mains and switch earth into top right of connector.

Then, lamp brown into bottom left of connector, lamp blue into middle bottom of connector and lamp earth into bottom right of connector.

This blew the fuse so obviously I have it wrong?

Any help most appreciated.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
Red from your switch joins to red from your mains, in connector block.
Black from your switch goes to brown of your light - mark the black with red or brown sleeving, tape will do if you have it.
The black from your mains ( Neutral) goes to the blue of your light.
Connect all earths.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts[/QUOTE]

Jon,

Thank you for the reply, are you saying that both reds go into the same socket on the connector, ie, both reds in top row left socket?

Would it be possible for you to describe it in terms of "colour/source in connector position", ie, like

"red/mains in connector top row left"
"black/mains in connector....."
"red/switch in connector......"

Sorry for having to ask but I am not 100% confident I understand how to do it from your description as I have no knowledge of wiring or terminology.

Rgds
Jack

Is the internal switch something that was already in place or something you have installed?

Is the mains feed from lighting circuit of socket circuit, what rating is the protective device of this circuit?

If the incoming feed is 6Amp or less, I would:
*Take main direct feed to switch
*Then run a twin and earth to fitting

At the swicth point:
*Connect earth(CPC) cable to earth terminal in back box or switch plate if metal or connect in connection block, if plastic back box and switch with no provisions for earth.
*Then connect the black cores(neutrals) together in connection block
*Then incoming live feed to com or L terminal of switch plate
*The second that is going to the fitting, would then be terminated at L1 on switch plate

At the light fitting:
*Black core to neutral of light(blue)
*Red core to live of light(brown)
*earth connected to earth terminal of light (note that the earth/CPC should be sleeved with green and yellow PVC sleeving at all junctions and connections)
New harmonised colours
Red=Brown (this is a line conductor aka as live)
Black=Blue (neutral conductor in single phase installations)
Green/Yellow=Green/Yellow (circuit protective conductor aka earth)

A bit like this if you imagine the main supply feed is coming from the junction box

Sponsored Links
The internal switch and lamp were in place when I bought the house. I took the lamp down some time ago when I had the paint removed from the external brickwork and now I am trying to put it back in place.

The protective fuse on the fuseboard under the stairs is 30 amps. To my mind, the mains cable that feeds the power to the lamp and switch is not correct as when it blew the fuse it knocked out some wall sockets used for electrical appliances and not the light circuits.

However, the mains cable is coming from the ground floor ceiling so presumably is routed somewhere from there back to the fuse board. The lamp has been in place and working for years without a problem on this circuit but I just cannot get it back wired up due to lack of knowledge.

The mains cable is not long enough to reach the switch and it goes outside through the brickwork to the lamp. The switch is about 2 ft below the hole in the brickwork and a separate piece of cable travels upwards from the switch to the hole in the wall. The connector block is a small plastic block with 6 screw connectors, 3 top row , 3 bottom row.

Rgds
Jack

So how many cables are at the light fitting and at switch?
And the cables at the switch who are they configured?
Do you have a multi-meter or any approved electrical test equipment that can test for continuity and voltage?
If what you say is correct about this feed is taken from the ring final socket circuit, then the switch you install, would be best be a double pole switched fused connection unit, so can down fuse and isolate live conductors if ever a faulty with circuit to external light or a fault with external light.

logically you would be looking at this:

With the two reds in a separate connection block within light fitting.

If the feed comes direct from the socket circuit, the cable may be undersized as a consequence of there being no fusing down.

However, it is possible there could be an unswitched fuse spur feeding this arrangement.

So how many cables are at the light fitting and at switch?
And the cables at the switch who are they configured?
Do you have a multi-meter or any approved electrical test equipment that can test for continuity and voltage?
If what you say is correct about this feed is taken from the ring final socket circuit, then the switch you install, would be best be a double pole switched fused connection unit, so can down fuse and isolate live conductors if ever a faulty with circuit to external light or a fault with external light.

At the light fitting there are two cables, the mains cable with its 3 wires and also the switch cable with its 3 wires. The plastic connector block is also at the light fitting. In addition to these cables at the light fitting there are the 3 wires from the light unit itself of brown, blue and earth.

At the switch there is only the cable from the switch going to the hole in the brickwork.

Inside the switch there is a red and black connected to the switch with the earth connected to a fixing on the back plate of the switch.

I have updated my original photo to try to present the description of the wiring a bit better.

Rgds
Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back