Fixings advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hoping for some advice on fixings.
We've had our bathroom redone. As well as the new suite, the walls have had a new skim of plaster and then been clad with 'Eazipanel' plastic sheets in a mock-tile effect. (8mm plastic cladding).

I now need to put up a bathroom cabinet, toilet roll holder, some corner shelves etc.

The advice from one of the plastic panel fitters was to use "any 3 inch plugs, and you should be fine".

I'm capable of using a drill but a little useless at knowing which fixings to use, drill bit sizes, appropriate screws etc.
Can anyone suggest an appropriate size of plugs and screws (suited to a bathroom) for me to purchase from Screwfix/Toolstation?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Sponsored Links
I'll offer a suggestion or 2...

For anything 'light (Under10Kg filled)

Drill a 3" (&5mm) deep with a 6mm Masonry drill bit at the fixing centers for the item to be fixed. In the Plastic bath panel open the holes out to 8mm.
Obtain screws 5x70 (ideally Stainless but passivated will do) and 'Red' Plugs.

Put a plug on the end of a screw and feed into the holier the masonry.
Tap in with a hammer - the plug must go through the wall panel & plaster skim and into the brick.
Remove the screw and re-insert after passing through the fixing hole in the item. A blob of silicon around the screw at the panel won't go amiss - stops water penetration.

For over 10KG filled - do the same but use 7mm masonry drill bits, 6x70 screws, brown plugs and open the clearance hole to 9mm.

Anything with a small diameter, eg your loo roll holder, I use something to make an 8mm packer to stop the panel being crushed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back