Fixtures and fittings list - wireless alarm system!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a wireless alarm system for my mother about 5 months before she put the house up for sale. I would like to install it in her new place.
The property is now sold but she forgot to mention the alarm was not staying.
Does a wireless system come under fixtures or fittings/chattels?

She's leaving so much stuff for the new buyers it runs into thousands, but I've read if there was no list created then anything bolted to the house stays!
I guess she can ask to keep it and see what happens!

Being a wireless alarm, the alarm panel comes off with 4 very small screws and siren 2 small screws! None of the other sensors are fixed, so no marks would be left!

I've read CCTV systems are counted as a fittings. but with many being wired this would be more involved than removing a wireless alarm system!

Thanx for any info.

Sponsored Links
If it's fixed to the house it's a fixture and is sold with the house. Your mother really needs to agree a list with the buyers of what's included and what's not.

Do the new Owners need that sort of Alarm System maybe they would be pleased to have it removed.

I had a similar problem my Mother was deaf so I installed a unit into the lighting circuit so if anyone pressed the door bell the house lights would flash on or if the lights were on pressing the door bell would flash them off
The new owners had no need of this system so I re- installed it in her new property

If it's fixed to the house it's a fixture and is sold with the house. Your mother really needs to agree a list with the buyers of what's included and what's not.
So would you say as long as a list is created and they agree with alarm being removed then all should be ok?

I've read slightly differing things on the rules, but I understand about things fixed to the house etc.

But as CCTV systems are also fixed but can be removed from a the house I don't think it unreasonable to ask to keep what is in effect a brand new alarm system which will have to be replaced, and over £300 it's not a cheap thing!

I tell her to ask and see what they say.

Do the new Owners need that sort of Alarm System maybe they would be pleased to have it removed.

I had a similar problem my Mother was deaf so I installed a unit into the lighting circuit so if anyone pressed the door bell the house lights would flash on or if the lights were on pressing the door bell would flash them off
The new owners had no need of this system so I re- installed it in her new property
Not sure TBH. I'm hoping they will be reasonable and let her keep it as she is gifting them almost all the furniture! That if had to be purchased new would run into a lot of money, 3 beds, wardrobes, sideboards, kitchen table, chairs, loads of chairs, dining room furniture, cabinets, book shelfs etc etc etc. the list goes on and on.

I would think as it's a good quality alarm system they wouldn't mind having it, but like I said I hoping they will not contest her wanting to keep it as they've already saved a small fortune not having to buy anything to move in!

I did read somewhere that as long as a list is agreed prior to completion then fine. But I think the agent could have been more helpful by walking her through that process. They have been a joke.

I understand if you see something on a viewing you should expect it to stay unless it's already in a list saying it's not.

As the agent stuck in online quickly and made a dogs dinner of the listing then no surprise they didn't help with anything else.

That doorbell link to lighting circuit sounds like a good idea!

Sponsored Links
Have you not had a form to complete, from the solicitors, which lists all these sorts of things?

Have you not had a form to complete, from the solicitors, which lists all these sorts of things?
Hi
Well spoke to my mother yesterday and the list wasn't in the rest of the documents she signed and sent back 2 & half weeks ago to solicitor. I know that because I looked through them. He only sent the tick list on Monday. Maybe she forgot to mention it at that point when I told her to.

I remember my agent giving me a list when buying years ago, but in the end it didn't stop the sellers taking bathroom cabinet, fixed mirror in hall and the toilet paper holder, and various other fixed things!
You could say they weren't exactly squeaky clean!o_O

Update;
They agreed the alarm can go! But they are getting another alarm system that already covers the garage which could be extended to the house.

Back