Flaking and mouldy bathroom ceiling paint. How to refinish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am finally (5 years after moving in) decorating my bathroom. The paint on the celing is cracked, flaking and there is a little mould in places. I have attached some pics below.

I have checked in the loft and there is no leaks above where the mould and flaking paint is, so im guessing it is due to moisture and condensation. I want to know the best way to go about making it look like new again and have a few questions.

1) How should it remove the mould? Soapy water?

2) Do I need to treat the ceiling with anything where the mould is?

3) Should I just remove the flaky bits and sand down?

4) Should I fill where the flakes and cracks were and if so with what?

5) Is the any special bathroom paint I should use on the ceiling?

I will also make sure the room is properly ventilated to hopefully prevent it getting in this state again.

Thanks
Paul

C8B3995F-A12F-42E7-9DAA-385EF2D67378-219-0000001CA021D0E6.jpg

7D82C5E7-AE77-45F6-97AA-359E728331E9-219-0000001C9A9ED4A3.jpg

BCC18A21-4B17-41E7-B8B1-A075AB15D420-219-0000001C8F48653E.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Use a decorators knife to scrape down anything that is loose. If it goes back to the plaster(even just in some areas), throw a mist coat up, with some owatrol anti mould emulsion mixer or similar mixed in. Sand it as best you can. Next, thinly skim some filler(standard filler mix should do) up onto anything that needs it. Gently sand that down when it's ready.
Personally, I'd throw up another coat of the mix and then later finish it with a coat of the emulsion. You could also consider a coat of oil based undercoat to help keep it sealed before you put the emulsion up. If you can't get it to look smooth and well finished, you could consider a stipple type finish. That's my advice.

Thanks you.

Will soapy water be ok to remove the mould?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks you.

Will soapy water be ok to remove the mould?

Thanks

Think it's suddy water like with dish cleaner(fairy liquid) that works best. But make sure to treat it afterwards, as described, to prevent it happening again.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back