Flaking layer under old wall paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a complete novice when it comes to wall paper but I am determined to remove the peeling paper in the bathroom and then paint. So far I have been able to remove the paper without any problems, but there is a flaky layer underneath that comes off in some spots but is still fully adhered in others.

What exactly is this and what is the best advice for removal prior to painting?

Thank you

-axel

imag0042b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sounds,looks, like a distemper wash. If you are papering over then just remove what is loose, then size the wall with a dilute paste mix and paper over.

Unfortunately the plan is to paint instead of applying new paper. Is my best bet to simply remove what easily chips off then sand the rest? I am mostly worried that the leftover layer might start flaking too since the room is a bathroom with a shower.

Is the distemper wash easily painted over with lasting results?

If you can get it smooth enough then i dont see a problem,as long as you use waterproof paint with it being a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
So I currently have all the paper removed and have scraped off all of the loose and flaking distemper/paint layer. I am planning on sanding the rest today then going for a prime and paint.

The plaster underneath is in remarkably good condition, but my only concern is that it is very old and powdery. What should I treat the plaster with before priming to ensure a quality bond with the primer?

Lastly, is there a particular primer that I should be using on plaster?

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back