Flaking paint how to disguise?

6 Apr 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi looks like someone has painted thick paint on new plaster (Photo) I've stripped paper off and it's left this mess.
It's in a prominent place above fireplace and dotted around the room.
However the plaster is a good finish and I would prefer to paint rather than paper.
How can I blend / fill this in so I can paint without it being visible?


  • IMG_2053.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Sanding, sanding and more sanding.
Or, as I saw it done once, a thick coat of textured masonry paint followed by 2 coats of emulsion.
I've used toupret fine surface filler to hide this. Cannot tell now.
However, your paint looks dimpled/textured, so, unsure how it'll end up, as some bits will be flat, others textured.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, true about the paint it's not been well applied really.
Think I'll paper.
You will still need to rub it down even if papering, or the paper will have voids in where the flakes are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local