Flaky paint 2nd time around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
firstly Happy New Year to all :p

I posted on here about 3/4 months ago regarding flaking paint, the responce to my post and on others ive searched for was sand the paint off, wash the walls, fill, undercoat and repaint. So after doing all of this I am heartbroken to say the cracks have come back...I don't have any clue as to why they have come back. Can someone please let me know what is going on. I asked in a few diy stores and they didn't have a clue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. Its on 2 walls either side of my stairs. I did clean off the paste with sugar soap and oh so many sponges... rinse it and then left to dry for a week before filling, sealing and repairing.

I just don't understand why it keeps flaking...my friend suggested as its on the stairs could the cold have made it crack? As we don't have a radiator on the stairs or the landning?

It's paste residue, it's notorious for it. Pro decs use Zinsser Gardz to cover it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply.

So in your opinion it is paste residue even though to my knowledge it hasn't been papered before? This only effects the top half of the walls...which have never been papered. The bottom was papered with paint on the top before. If that makes sense. Your help is appreciated. And I am not being funny so please don't take this the wrong way. I just want to know what is going on.

Happy new year!

Whatever it is - go for the zin - that`ll bind it back a treat ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back