Flange recommendations

I

IainWatson

HI all,

Will be fitting a Techflow pump (QT45 or 80), the manufacturer's instructions state a Techflange (their own make, side fitting just below the hot water tank seam) or a non-stop essex flange are best.

Two questions:
1. Anyone have experience of the Techflange (I'm concerned that me fitting it might create a weak spot etc) versus a Essex flange.

2. I'm tempted to Tee into the existing Hot Water draw off, just a couple of inches along the horizontal pipe, with a 22mm tube aimed downwards at 45 to 60 degrees below horizontal. Would welcome your thoughts on this idea versus the two flange options outlined.

many thanks,
Iain

Sponsored Links
The flange, which ever one you decide on will always be the correct and best option.

If you T off the existing HW outlet it will run the risk of the pump sucking air down from the open vent.

You will also need a dedicated CW supply from the CW storage tank to the pump to balance the supply's up

Always stick to the MI's exactly ;)

TY g4y, much obliged, hadn't considered the poss of sucking air down the vent, stupidly never realised that the pipe won't always be charged with water at pressure. So a flange it will be........

welcome anyone's thoughts on the pros/cons of Techflange fitted through a new hole in the side of the tank versus an Essex. (or indeed a warix through the already existing hole in the top.)

Thanks again,
Iain

If you do decide to tee into the hot water draw off then do not do it on the horizontal .It must be a minimum of 6 inches below the open vent tee and be the first draw off before any taps

Sponsored Links
Some pump manufacturers use a Surrey flange which is a lot easier and less risky to fit.

Drilling into the side of a cylinder is not for the faint hearted.

But, as my learned friends have already said, whatever you do, make sure the pump manufacturer advocates it, or your warranty will be toast.

And shower pumps need warranties, grief comes as standard.

OK thank so far guys....

Here's where I'm at.

Unwise to Tee into the hot feed as it might suck air from the vent, Surrey and York flanges utterly verbotten as the manufacturer says they restrict the flow (potentially).

Warranty accepts Warix flange but will ADD a year onto the warranty if I fit a nonstop Essex or their own Techflange - either of which require me to drill a new hole (argggh). The company description of fitting their flange seems simpler than a Essex (see here http://www.techflow.co.uk/pdf/QT-install.pdf )

Q Is it worth the heart stopping sleepless ness of drilling and fitting a side flange, or just go with a Warix (I understand they can be tightened to any orientation and take the water from higher up the tank ??)

Loving the tips, thanks a lot,
Iain

if you are confident in your ability or have a friend that is then drill the cylinder.

if not take the safe option.

its all up to you now.

Sounds a bit dull perhaps, but how can I prevent the circle of copper falling into the tank - any top tips or just be dead carefull ?

Iain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back