flash drives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi our pc is now quite old and we want to back up our pics we have an external hard drive but want to use a " usb stick" as well, any recommendations on make size.

Tia Alan

Sponsored Links
Anything....

But I would trust sandisk or a name brand
A 32 gig stick is probably big enough. There is always a price point where the next size up gets a lot more expensive. Personally I'd save two sticks.

Use Windows Explorer, find the folder you keep your images in (possibly called "pictures"), select it, right click on it and select "Properties" then look at the size it says it is.
Then choose the USB drive that is larger than that, as above - better still get 2 as they are not that expensive so you can make duplicates.

Copy the images to the USB drive.
Remove the drive.
Shut down
start the computer and plug the USB drive into another USB port.
Copy the images all to a new folder on your hard drive - this is to verify that they are correctly saved.
Label the USB drive - this is important - labels will remind you what it is when yo have forgotten.
Put them both in different safe places.

Avoid buying on eBay many are counterfeit and a 16gb stick could be a " 2gb" that's been chipped to show as 16.

Sponsored Links
Avoid buying on eBay many are counterfeit and a 16gb stick could be a " 2gb" that's been chipped to show as 16.

Once you get your stick, you can verify this by using a prog called h2testw.exe which fills the drive and reads it back giving true reading of how much real storage there is there. You report the seller to ebay if the size it not what it says

Nozzle

Once you get your stick, you can verify this by using a prog called h2testw.exe which fills the drive and reads it back giving true reading of how much real storage there is there. You report the seller to ebay if the size it not what it says

Nozzle
In theory that's true, but have you every tried to report anything to ebay?, they don't have the ability to take information about dodgy goods, reported many for selling goods with dodgy 3 pin plugs which are dangerous but ebay are not interested unless the report comes from a UK government body.

I bought a "Kingston" SD card, I used this software to prove it was dodgy, I reported the seller as selling counterfit goods and I got my money back. As a buyer, ebay are quite responsive. If you're just someone observing there are dodgy you're probably right they don't give a hoot.

Nozzle

I have bought dodgy goods, but ebay did not want to know.Maybe you were lucky.

I gave up with ebay though big especially UK sellers should be OK. Mymemory or Mobymemory are relliable and cheap enough. (Amazon will refund promptly, too.)
At £7 for 16GB or £25 for 128GB, they're very cheap now.
An old PC will be USB2, later are USB3. It will take a darned long time to transfer very many GB on USB2! Don't use USB port that's on any kind of extender or breakout adapter, it'll be a lot slower.

If this is a desktop PC, it may well have space for an internal second drive. Maybe add a SSD ?
USB sticks are normally fairly slow even those that support USB3.

Sponsored Links
Back