flashguard xl strobe faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I think I have run into bad luck here, Installed a flashguard xl 3 weeks ago on my property all works well and happy days. Recently I have bought another one for the back which arrived 2 days ago. Now before I install alarm equipment I like to do a bench test (current measurement) the specs for the equipment are not always accurate.

Anyway without boring you too much I will get to the point. upon power up with meter in series the sounder activated the leds were on and the strobe was flashing so I thought great,but then the strobe just stopped (no bangs arcs, smoke) just stopped?. the sounder circuit and leds are still working fine but the strobe is not working at all .

So I then disconnected the strobe neg trigger and tried the positive strobe trigger but again nothing. I checked the reverse of the pcb but the tracks look intact and there are no burn marks insight. so before I go to replace it I have a few questions. I want to try and fix it if I can because it was not cheap!.

ps. this was all during a bench test so the sounder wasn't actually fitted.
I did the same test with the first unit before I installed and its working fine.

1. have I just very simply run into a bad unit?
2. has the sounder software somehow locked the strobe due to the lid being off? the tamper was open at the time but closing it however made no change.
3.have you experienced similar problems using the flashguards?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You will have been extremely lucky if you haven't.
Even sophisticated control panels that you have never heard of occasionally don't work 'out of the box'.

I have used Flashguards but have you never bought something that did not work and had to be replaced?

so before I go to replace it I have a few questions. I want to try and fix it if I can because it was not cheap!.

If you mess around too much you can forget any warranty, replace it.

Last edited:
so have I just unfortunately bought a faulty unit?

If you are doing everything correctly I'd say you have, it happens.

Sponsored Links
Put a positive and a negative to the strobe connections ( not switched ) does it work ?

HI, Nope I have tried that but cannot get the strobe to work at all. europlex most likely correct I was just unlucky. guess there is nothing else for it I'll just have to replace it. thanks anyway

Hi guys just thought I would give you an update. I got replacement flashguard xl from the warranty free of charge. tested it and the strobe works as well as everything else. The internal battery could do with as it was only 5v so its on charge till the weekend when i fit it.

so yeah just a bad unit. one of you mentioned I would be the luckiest guy alive if I never bought anything that wasn't broken.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back